Return to Marinearts.com Home Page   


THE MORGANS
The Whaler Charles W. Morgan
Scrimshaw on antique sperm whale tooth
on cocabola, ebony and mammoth ivory mount.
6.5"H x 2.5"W x 1.75"D (tooth only)
9.5"H x 3.75"W x 3.75"D (overall)

Winner of Award of Excellence 
at 1996 Mystic International Marine Art Exhibition

Private Collection

The Charles W. Morgan is the only survivor of the great era of wooden whaleships. Hove-to and lowering for whales, she is shown here ship-rigged as she was when launched in 1841. Now residing at Mystic Seaport, and restored to her former glory, she is a reminder of the days of sail when American ships were paramount in the dangerous business of whaling. On the reverse is a portrait of the Charles W. Morgan's namesake, principal owner and builder, Charles Waln Morgan.

BACK TO THE GALLERY
 

Site design and HTML by Robert Weiss 2010 Robert Weiss - Marinearts.com.
No information contained in this site, whether text or graphical may be reproduced in any manner without prior permission of the copyright owner.