Return to Marinearts.com Home Page   


LEWIS TEMPLE

Inventor of the Temple Toggle Iron.
Scrimshaw on mammoth ivory
on cocabola and mammoth ivory mount.
3.75"H x 3.75"W x 1.25"D

Private Collection

   

Front and Reverse Views

The harpoon invented by Lewis Temple was one of the most significant inventions in the history of whaling and was used by virtually every whaleman. Temple, a former slave, had learned the trade of blacksmithing while in bondage. When he arrived in New Bedford in 1829 he found work almost immediately on Coffin's Wharf. This is the same wharf where Frederick Douglass later found work as a caulker. After several years Temple established his own blacksmith shop at 3 Walnut Street. It was there in 1848 that he invented the Temple Toggle Iron.




BACK TO THE GALLERY

 

Site design and HTML by Robert Weiss 2010 Robert Weiss - Marinearts.com.
No information contained in this site, whether text or graphical may be reproduced in any manner without prior permission of the copyright owner.